I decided on Monday that it was time to start potty training Drew. He woke up from his nap and his diaper was all mangled up so I took it off. We walked out to the living room to get a new one and he said "Mommy, I need to go tee tee!". So, I sat him down and he went. It has been mostly okay since then. Later that afternoon we went out and got a Dora potty seat, some Cars underwear (he calls them panties since every other person he knows that is potty trained is a girl) and some cool short like underwear that he likes. He had one accident on Monday evening because I was busy weeding the backyard and he was busy playing. He stayed dry all night.
Tuesday was good as well with only one accident. He was playing with some girls from church and one of them came up and said "Drew has his shorts off and his panties off, too!" It turns out that he had peed all over them and took them off. The rest of the day was good. He has a sticker chart that he puts a sticker on everytime he goes. It is filling up fast, although he thinks that he can just put on one whenever he wants. Whenever he wants a sticker, he just goes pee and thinks it is the best. He wanted a fruit roll up and I told him that the next time he goes in the toilet he can have one. He just sat down then and went, so he could have one right then!
Today, Wednesday, has already been somewhat of a disaster. He has a hard time trying to go number 2 in the toilet, so he hasnt really gone. I fell asleep on the couch for an hour (my allergies are really bad this year and it is draining me!) and he went to his usual spot for number 2 (I put his little toilet in there and told him he could use that) and when I woke up he had gone in his underwear, taken them off, thrown them into the trash and wiped his hand on the wall. And he peed on the dyer. Gross! I guess we will have to work on that part.
So, overall, he is doing well. I am really proud of him and he really amazes me with what he can do! Ive given up on reading what other people say you should do and what age you should do things with your kids. I have learned that with Drew you just wait until he is ready. And if he isnt, then wait some more and try again. Hopefully, he will have his sticker chart filled up at the end of the week so he can get a big prize. I will keep posting updates!
Tuesday was good as well with only one accident. He was playing with some girls from church and one of them came up and said "Drew has his shorts off and his panties off, too!" It turns out that he had peed all over them and took them off. The rest of the day was good. He has a sticker chart that he puts a sticker on everytime he goes. It is filling up fast, although he thinks that he can just put on one whenever he wants. Whenever he wants a sticker, he just goes pee and thinks it is the best. He wanted a fruit roll up and I told him that the next time he goes in the toilet he can have one. He just sat down then and went, so he could have one right then!
Today, Wednesday, has already been somewhat of a disaster. He has a hard time trying to go number 2 in the toilet, so he hasnt really gone. I fell asleep on the couch for an hour (my allergies are really bad this year and it is draining me!) and he went to his usual spot for number 2 (I put his little toilet in there and told him he could use that) and when I woke up he had gone in his underwear, taken them off, thrown them into the trash and wiped his hand on the wall. And he peed on the dyer. Gross! I guess we will have to work on that part.
So, overall, he is doing well. I am really proud of him and he really amazes me with what he can do! Ive given up on reading what other people say you should do and what age you should do things with your kids. I have learned that with Drew you just wait until he is ready. And if he isnt, then wait some more and try again. Hopefully, he will have his sticker chart filled up at the end of the week so he can get a big prize. I will keep posting updates!

Drew showing his Dora potty seat. I let him pick out whatever he wanted!
2 comments:
Not looking forward to this! Someone asked me if I was going to try and potty train King before the baby comes...YEAH RIGHT! He's only 15 months! That would be WAY more work than I am willing to deal with right now! I am with you on waiting until they are ready. I actually heard that if you rush them, and try and teach them too early they can develop anal retentiveness or something!
yeah! that is so great that he is willing to try and even do it on a moments notice. what a kid won't do for a fruit roll up! tell him he can call Elora next time as a reward!
Post a Comment